Getting married in New York City? Congratulations!
Any couple getting married in NYC must have a valid marriage licence issued within the State of New York. You can attain the license anywhere in the state, and it is only valid in New York State.
A New York State Marriage License remains valid for up to 60 days, and you must have it in hand for no less than 24 hours before your ceremony can be performed.
Try not to stress yourself by leaving it until the last minute if you can avoid it ... but if you are coming from out of town to get married and will have limited time before your ceremony, please make sure the Clerk's Office is open on the days before your wedding. (They close on weekends and for some holidays).
Here is some information on how to get your marriage license from the New York City Clerk's Office, which has five offices in the boroughs of NYC.
* The fee for a Marriage License is $35 payable in a money order or credit card only. (They do not accept checks or cash).
* Both bride and groom must appear together in person to apply for a Marriage License. However, the application can be started online and ready for you when you arrive at the Clerk's office.
* If you or your beloved have been married before you must list all prior marriages and must be prepared to include prior spouse's full name, date the divorce was granted and the place the divorce was filed. It is strongly advised that you bring along a copy of the final divorce decree (just in case). Widowers must provide similar information. (Needless to say, all divorces, annulments, and dissolutions must be finalized before applying for a new Marriage License.)
* Your Marriage License is generated based on the information you provide. It will be prepared while you wait, and you will take it with you upon your departure.
* Make sure you proofread it and ask for any correction before you leave the clerk's office.
* Remember you must wait a full 24 hours before your Marriage Ceremony can be performed.
* A blood test is not required to obtain a Marriage License in New York State. There is no residence or citizenship status requirement to be married in New York City.
You must bring valid and acceptable forms of identification when applying for a Marriage License. Expired forms of ID will not be accepted.
Acceptable forms of identification include:
1. Valid driver's license (from the United States or one of its territories)
2. Non driver's identification card (from the United States or one of its territories)
3. Learner's permit from New York State only
4. Active United States Military Identification Card
5. Valid passport
6. U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (issued within the past ten years)
7. Valid United States Alien Registration Card with expiration date
8. Employment Authorization Card issued by the United States Immigration Authorities
To obtain your license anywhere else in the state please contact the local clerk's office to find out their hours and protocol.